Thursday, January 17, 2013

Adding Columbus To My Hockey Radar

I am a Jets fan.  They are still my team, even though they are no longer in my city.

That being said, I am expanding my sports love into the Western Conference because I have become a fan of the Columbus Blue Jackets. No, obviously not because of their on-ice performance last year. But it was because of my experience during the game I attended at Nationwide Arena.

I went up for a game when the Blue Jackets hosted the Dallas Stars and I have to say that everyone was awesome. I really really enjoyed myself, even though the Jackets lost and my seat was two rows from the top of the upper deck.

Let me elaborate. Since I have become a fan of hockey, I have taken in a game in a different arena each year. Last year, I drove up to Columbus Ohio. I had been to Ohio before and remembered Skyline Chili, so that was first on my list of "must-do's" for Ohio after checking in to the Westin near the capitol building.  I drove up the street and sat down, got my Chili 3-Way and really enjoyed it.  The server was nice and I went about my business. 

Went to the game the next day and I have to say it was one of the best sports experiences I've ever had (outside of an experience at one of my home bases).  Almost everything was wonderful.  I'll do a reverse compliment sandwich.

I am not a fan of Stinger.  Their mascot.  I'm a professional sports mascot myself, so I have a critical eye.  I've already talked about my dislike of Stinger, but let me sum it up:  If you name a team the BLUE Jackets, and you have a JACKET as your mascot, why the hell would you make him GREEN?  I just don't get it.

Not only that, but I was not terribly impressed with his act.  He just didn't seem "bigger than life".  He didn't really make me laugh or gasp or anything.  I was disappointed.

The team tries to make up for it, I guess, by having Boomer - an inflatable cannon.  I didn't see Boomer.  Good.  I do not like inflatable mascots as a general rule (the Zooperstars are an exception), and I especially hate those wheels on Boomer.  Ugh.

I did see and hear the actual cannon.  That was a really neat thing to see in an NHL arena.  Pregame, I wandered around to the cannon area and talked to the Cannon Crew.  They were nice guys that seemed to enjoy their job. 

Actually, this is a good opportunity to say that everyone I encountered seemed to enjoy being there.  The team last year was horrible, but the staff made the experience great.  The security at the doors was nice, and the ushers helpful.  During my pregame wandering, one usher suggested I go down into the bowl down by the tunnel when the team comes on the ice.  Sure, why not? 

It's time to mention I was wearing one of my Thrashers' jerseys.  This was the first season with the Winnipeg Jets, so it was a symbol of sadness.  Lots of people asked if I was a fan of the Thrashers and when I said I was from Atlanta, they were very sympathic and all seemed educated as to how we Thrasher fans got screwed. 

When I mean everyone, I mean everyone.  The fans were great.  Many initiated conversation, but nobody was mean or even a good-natured ribbing.  It was an unexpected reaction.  I got great suggestions on what to eat or see at the arena or surrounding Columbus area.  And more than one apologized for the terrible parking situation and team performance that season.  Even though the parking was underconstruction, I had no problem and got a great spot up close for a good deal, and I knew the Blue Jackets record before entering Nationwide.

As I got my burger (which was fantastic with barbeque sauce), I heard "Good to see you again!".  Huh?  Good to see me?  I turned and from behind the Skyline Chili counter was my server from the previous night.  That's pretty cool. 

You know what else is cool?  Tim Horton donut holes for like 3 or 4 bucks.  I had never heard of Tim Horton and I thought it was a grocery store.  I was wrong and thank God I was because it made for a tasty second intermission.

Another additional nice feature about the building itself is the practice rink which is located inside Nationwide Arena.  Or connected to it.  I'm not sure which is technically true, but if you wander around the concourse, you can look through the glass and see the practice rink.  There was a pee-wee league game going on.

I made my way over to the Columbus organ player using a real organ.  I started talking to him and we both soon realized we had met before.  He trained with Chuck Bell, organist for the Atlanta Thrashers.  The guy (whose name escapes me) was good.  He's no Chuck Bell, but then again, who is?  I will say hearing the old style organ in the arena was another nice touch.  That and the Cannon Crew waving the flags and shooting the cannon after a goal make for an exciting experience.

Full disclosure:  I knew they shot the cannon when the Blue Jackets scored.  I somehow missed the announcement that they also shot it when the team takes the ice.  I screamed. 

Okay, so the other thing that was bad?  It has nothing to do with the team.  It had to do with the visiting Dallas Stars, namely Kari Lehtonen in goal.  Kari was the first player I ever took a liking to as a hockey fan.  He was signed and I was new to the whole hockey thing and I thought his butterfly style was amazing.  I am not a fan of names on my jerseys because rarely am I at a game to see a particular player, but I'm there for the entire atmosphere.  But I wanted Kari's 32.  I was ready to pay up but decided against it last minute.  I opted instead for meeting him at a Draft party and having him sign a puck.  This is still my only signed piece of hockey memoriabilia.  I'm not a huge autograph hound and would rather enjoy the game or atmosphere than elbow others as we jockey for position for autographs.  I tried it sincerely after a few practices for Ilya Kovalchuk, and never got it.  And I never forgave him and I developed a distaste for autograph camping.  Boo to the Devil's #17.

Like I said, I was all about Kari Lehtonen.  The highest drafted Finnish player in NHL history, he played for Jokerit.  That was my team when I played European League hockey on EA Sports.  And Kari's masks? 


How can you not like stuff like that? 

However, as I grew as a hockey fan, the love affair started to diminish.  He came out of goal a lot.  A LOT.  And left the net open when he shouldn't in my elementary hockey mind.  He wasn't good at clearing pucks or passing, giving up golden scoring opportunties for the opposition.  At least, that was my memory of Kari.  He was traded to Dallas in 2010 and by that time, I was over my man-crush, but was sad to see him leave.  I was disappointed that he wasn't what I wanted him to be.  If he wasn't giving up goals on an empty net because he was inexplicably behind it, he was on the IR with a groin injury.  That really killed the relationship.  It's hard to root for a guy riding the bench without a strong history of incredible awesomeness.

Anyway, so Lehtonen was in net for Dallas that night in Columbus.  And he was good.  Very good.  He wasn't doing all the stupid stuff that disappointed me like he did in Atlanta.  I just kept thinking "If you had played this well in Atlanta..."  Me jealous?  Maybe.  Regardless of him teasing me, then disappointing me, then making me jealous; he's a good guy.  It did leave a bad taste in my mouth because I was essentially looking at what I've always wanted.  An awesome Kari between the pipes.  And now he's playing for a team with an ugly uniform.  Luckily, it looks like this will be its last season.

Here's the bottom line:

My experience with the Blue Jackets was overall awesome.  For that reason, I am adopting them as my Western Conference team.  Again, Jets vs. Blue Jackets, I'm going Jets, but there is certainly room for me to add an American team to my hockey radar.  So, if you see me wearing a Blue Jackets hat, that's why.  Columbus still doesn't look too terribly strong this season, so I am fully prepared to be disappointed, but I'm an Atlanta sports fan.  We are kinda accustomed to let downs.