Friday, January 6, 2012

Something Completely Different

Today, we are going to do something different. Most of this post will not be serious. I don't always have to be so serious. Why so serious?



And if you don't like it, I'll just have to let you deal with my security forces who will keep you from attacking me with hate...



Or I'll put you in the shark tank...



Or let this thing attack you...



Sorry. Wrong picture. Not that thing. That thing is a cute something or another. Antelope-jack? Not really sure. Too bad he was killed and mounted on a wall. And then removed from that wall.

No, I'll let this thing attack you if you get all ticked off that this post is less-than-serious...



Are we clear? This post is going to be a little different, so get used to it. Don't complain. And like it.

Actually, you can not like it all you want. I'm still going to do it. I need a mental break from some of the stories in the NHL these days related to the rules.

There has been a lot of bad news coming out of the hockey these days. Conspiracy theories. There's suspension after suspension. Naughty words. Naughty items on the ice. Fan fights. Illegal merchandise. It's depressing. Well, the most recent item on the ice was funny. But everything else is kinda a downer.

So, I wanted to offer up this post as something completely different. Something fun. Something that doesn't involve anymore controversy or suspension talk. I was inspired by this mural I found on Puck Daddy.

Frank Saracco is a Chicago Blackhawks fan with fond memories of their 2010 Stanley Cup championship victory over the Philadelphia Flyers. To honor that moment, he had a friend create a mural as a birthday gift to his daughter that depicts the two teams — who meet tonight in Philly for the first time since Game 6 of the '10 Final — as cartoon heroes and villains.



That brings a smile to my face. Not for the quality of the work. It's nephew art, as my artist friend from Puppatoons would say. This is the creator of Puppatoons behind me...



Nice person. As long as she's not too hungry for human flesh, we get along great.

I still like the idea of the Blackhawks mural for this guy's kid.

Here's a closer look at things in the mural.



We start our breakdown of characters with the Blackhawks.

Patrick Kane = Road Runner
Jonathan Toews = Superman
Duncan Keith = Toothless
Marian Hossa = Mr. Incredible
Brent Seabrook = Eddie Munster
Antti Niemi = Shrek

In the box:

Adam Burish = Bugs Bunny

On the bench:

Brian Campbell = Lion-O
Dustin Byfuglien = Sulley
Patrick Sharp = Batman*
Niklas Hjalmarsson = Thor
Coach Q = Gepetto
John Torchetti = Perry the Platypus

*I don't like Patrick Sharp...



The Flyers:

On the bench:

Ville Leino = Gargamel
Claude Giroux = Darth Vader*
Matt Carle = Randall
Simon Gagne = Doofenshmirtz
Jeff Carter = Maleficent
Coach Peter Laviolette = Stewie

*Hey! I've met Claude Giroux before!



I want to be just like him when I grow up...



Okay, on the ice:

Chris Pronger = Skeletor
Scott Hartnell = Yosemite Sam
Danny Briere = Wile E. Coyote
Mike Richards = Captain Hook
Michael Leighton = Montgomery Burns
Kimmo Timonen = Lord Farquaad

As mentioned, the event is inspired by the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals. Saracco said the scoreboard represents the final score and time of the last game of the Finals. Also important: "I know that game was in Philly, but for the sake of the mural it had to be at the UC [United Center] if it was going up in my house. A little artistic liberty."

I would have also taken the liberty to hire a good artist.

Now, I'm not sure who the Count is suppose to be (an off-ice official?). The Penguin is probably Linesman Steve Miller who lost (or "lost") the game-winning puck. Hard to hold onto that puck without fingers.

...Well, I tried to avoid bringing up anything controversal. Oops. Maybe I can get away with it. As long as some official doesn't notice it (by turning around).



Good.

Sorry that I still introduced controversy when I was trying to avoid it. I was trying to do something a little bit different for fun in this post. That was fun, wasn't it? I mean, at least I didn't show any more controversal things from hockey. Like the Canadian women celebrating after the Gold Medal in Vancouver.



Or The Great One having his name misspelled on his jersey.



Or when the Carolina Hurricane Ice Girls had mustaches for Mo-Vember.



Or any of the Thrashers taunting stunts.



Or the neon jerseys they tested with the Thrashers.



Or, something serious, like a picture of the "toy" that was tossed during the hat trick in Montreal on Wednesday.



Sorry. I'm so embarrassed to have that on this site.



Not as embarrassed as I was shortly after I had my picture taken with the Stanley Cup.



Didn't know that you aren't suppose to touch it until you won it. Not that I ever will, but still. Bad luck.

But I was a noob. I learned. I grew. I think I redeemed myself by presenting the ECHL's championship trophy (the Kelly Cup) some time later.



That was fun. Sorta. Except I was presenting it to the other team that beat us in the Finals on our ice. Gladiators ice.

I went back to my car and cried.



Not that car. That's a small plane-car. I've never been in that.



That I have been in. One of the nice little job responsibilities from working with the Braves baseball team. That and being at the ballpark as the sun rises.



Beautiful sight. I'm very proud to have the Braves as an employer. They've been great to me. Althought, they occassionally had me done some crazy things...



Of course, I sometimes dressed up for fun all on my own at Turner Field.



Or Philips Arena.



I'm a Sport-Trooper as compared to a Stormtrooper.

I have an interesting resume. The Atlanta Braves are just one of the many jobs I've had in my career.



And I got to work for the Thrashers too. In an entertainment capacity.



I liked my co-workers.



But back to baseball for a second. For one to really appreciate Turner Field, home of the Braves, you really have to see it once the sun really goes up.



My friend Mo likes it too.



I forgot to ask my girlfriend about it when she came down for Christmas. We took a tour of the ballpark and got our picture made at the ritz-y hotel we stayed at. Her treat!



She has squinty eyes.

Okay, I have to confess. That's not really my girlfriend up there. That was Taylor Swift photoshopped in on a program that my mom got on her iPad for Christmas. A program she insisted on using non-stop during the holiday season. There's the same scene with me and that werewolf from Twilight and me with Beiber.

Who will eventually look like this.



I have met celebrities before. Ashley Eckstein.



John Smoltz.



And many many more. Clark Howard. A cow. Unicorns...



Won't it be cool to date a celebrity? I think so. Like that redhead girl from Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog? Felicia Day.

She's amazing. Great singing voice. Great personality. Stunningly attractive. What would it take to impress her, I wonder? Puppatoons got to meet her, along with a puppet. In fact, it was Ms. Day's people who called them over for a picture...



So, she's into ghosts.

Got it. I know what I need to do...



That probably won't work. I'm not counting on that for a pick-up stradegy.

Maybe I should stick to attempting to date people in reality...



..like princesses? That probably won't work either. Especially not with that look.

What a interesting picture: A blonde. A brunette. A redhead. And an idiot.

By the way: I love me some Ariel. Definately my favorite princess. She's like a Felicia Day. With a tail.

Too bad none of those nice ladies will be joining me during my trip to Nashville when I go see the Predators take on the Jets in March. I'll have to rely on the company of Loosetoon, the Nashville Predators Ice Girls, and possibly a big slimy catfish.



My biggest problem with the trip is this: what to wear to the game. I see three options. I have one of my Thrashers jerseys. I'd probably go with the sky blue one if I went that route...



I have my Jets t-shirt with the new Jets logo.



Or I have my Predators shirt.



It's a mix of that Preds logo and this guy...



That shirt looks like this.



So I've got that problem. What to wear...

Actually, I have another problem in that I can't get my favorite meal in Nashville.

You know what the best meal in the world is?



No, not a po-boy. Although that is a good sandwich. A fine treat from the French Quarter.



No, not a delicious burrito covered in yummy cheese sauce and wonderful salsa. Coronado has the best, hands down.



It's not a breakfast meal, though I do love me some pancakes covered in syrup with a side of bacon (aka meat candy). It does taste better in Yoda and Stormtrooper form. But still, not the best meal.



Okay, that's not a meal.

Those are my famous marshmallow treats I make for special occassions. Well, four varities of them anyway. Funny thing, I don't even like them all that much. I'm not a huge chocolate fan.



I love me some Hot Now Krispy Kreme donuts! But that's not a meal either. Well, I've actually eaten it as a meal, but it shouldn't be.

We're getting further off topic. How about I just tell you what the best meal is.



The savory meal of Varsity chili dogs with a side of onion rings (the ONLY onions I readily eat) and Coca-Cola.

That is a glorious meal. I'm dead serious. That is my go-to meal of choice. Not available in Nashville.

Only in Atlanta.

Too bad we don't have NHL hockey to go with that meal.

--

I hope you enjoyed this post. It's a little different from the norm, but still enjoyable.

If you didn't like it, you can talk to my lawyer...



..or I can call security.



Your choice.

TTFN

To be honest, I just wanted an excuse to post some pictures I found.