Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cole's High-Five Celebration

Watch Montreal's Erik Cole score a goal against Ottawa, then celebrate with those close to him. Close to him in proximity, not necessarily his teammates or family or fans.


Link to video

He high-fived a referee. On the one hand, a little disrespectful. On the other, kinda funny. It's really not spelled out in the rules. In fact, goal celebrations aren't talked about at all in the rules. It would all fall under unsportmanlike conduct if things went too far.

I like the two looks of both Cole and Referee Greg Kimmerly. Cole's kinda sheepish, "he-he-he" back look and the Ref's look of "What are you doing? / Don't do that again." He could have probably been whistled for that, but I like the no call. Dare I say if was probably a reflex reaction. Skating along, just scored an awesome five-hole goal and there's a hand out. You slap it. Kimmerly may have been just too shocked to assess a penalty. One of those, "did that really just happen?" moments. From Cole's point of view, I'm just thinking it was one of those actions that you know better, but can't help yourself in the moment.

"He was the only one there, so I had to celebrate with someone," Cole said. "I told him I was sorry afterwards."

Montreal won the game in a shootout.