Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I Was Right About The Hollywood Mask

Boom baby.

Refer to my post earlier today. It was talking about the flack that Bernier was getting from the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for use of the Hollywood sign icon on his goalie mask.

I said in part:

Look, I'm all for copyright laws. I'm all for legal protection. However, is this really an advertisement on the side of a mask? The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce owns "certain trademark rights for usage of the Sign or its likeness for commercial purposes." Is this one of them? Some bloggers say yes. I say no. I do understand that it was a commissioned work and is seen by millions in person and on television. But the sign is not used to attract people to him or the Kings. I don't think they sell images of his mask specifically. I don't know. Copyright law is not my specialty, but the Hollywood people just don't seem to have a good case here. I hate that the locals are so up in arms about it. And by locals, I mean the Chamber of Commerce.


So, yeah. I said that this doesn't seem like a case and this doesn't fall in the realm of "usage of the Sign for commercial purposes."

And I was right.

Christine Sovich of Global Icons, who clear the requests and handle the inquiries for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce concerning usage of the sign, said the following this afternoon:

“The Chamber has no objection to the use of it in that nature (referring to Bernier’s use on his mask). Therefore, a letter has already gone out letting them know…that we appoligze [sic] for the inconvenience of the original letter. The Chamber has no objection to the use. He can continue to use it that way.”


So there you go. Hollywood is back. If he wants to be.

It appears to have been a misunderstanding. Hey, it happens. I appreciate the Chamber (or at least their legal counsel) addressing the issue quickly. It's not the end of the world, but one less thing to worry about.

Now, if Sovich can help with a much more pressing issue...