Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Heads, Elbows, Fingers, and Aliens

Well, thank you Los Angeles. Specifically, Hollywood. Sarcasm.

Let me start with the stupid trademark issue haunting Jonathan Bernier.



A Kings' blog says the following:

Apparently the folks who own the Hollywood sign have been in touch with the NHL regarding Jonathan Bernier's mask. According to sources, Bernier either needs to remove the sign from his current mask or he must pay royalties for using it.

After his pre-game skate this morning, Bernier appeared frustrated by the entire issue, saying 'I don't understand. Guys here have been using the Hollywood sign on their masks going all the way back to Kelly Hrudey."


That's right. That Hollywood mark on the Kings' netminder may have to go.

Look, I'm all for copyright laws. I'm all for legal protection. However, is this really an advertisement on the side of a mask? The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce owns "certain trademark rights for usage of the Sign or its likeness for commercial purposes." Is this one of them? Some bloggers say yes. I say no. I do understand that it was a commissioned work and is seen by millions in person and on television. But the sign is not used to attract people to him or the Kings. I don't think they sell images of his mask specifically. I don't know. Copyright law is not my specialty, but the Hollywood people just don't seem to have a good case here. I hate that the locals are so up in arms about it. And by locals, I mean the Chamber of Commerce.

At least he didn't throw an elbow. Like Shane Doan did against the Stars.



Will he see some discipline for this hit in the form of a suspension? I would think so. A two game sit down is my best bet. He will have a hearing today.

Speaking of potential supplimental discipline: Martin Havlat.


Link to video.

Did he just flip the bird?

He says no. But that does appear to be a one-fingered salute. And he could be looking at a fine. Hey, Bruin Andrew Ference got one for his salute to the crowd in the playoffs. A $2,500 one at that. I don't know if Havlat will get the same punishment. The Bruin birdy was under the Campbell system and we are living in the Shanahan era. Plus, the Ference incident occurred during a playoff game while Havlat's flip did not. I'd still expect to see a fine for this.

But you know who should get fined or flipped off?

Michael Bay.

Reportedly, he is making (remaking, really) a live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. And the turtles will not be mutants, but rather aliens. Bay said “kids are going to believe one day these turtles actually do exist when we are done with this movie” and that they come “from an alien race, and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable.”

I'm outraged. Like many others.

Bay responded to me and others by saying this:

“Fans need to take a breath and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of ‘Ninja Turtles’ to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.”


Robbie Rist, who voiced the character Michelangelo in the original 1990 live-action film adaptation, said Monday in a Facebook message that Bay is “sodomizing” the original movies and causing “the rape of our childhood memories.”

I'm with Rist. Bay has destroyed so many other memories for people with the Transformers. I liked the Rock. I'll give him that. But that's about it. Pearl Harbor didn't do it for me. Amityville Horror. Friday the 13th. Nightmare on Elm Street. Nope nope nope.

Please don't do this. I beg you. Leave the turtles alone.

I don't want these two things mixed:





Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, you need to stop Michael Bay. If you can keep him from making a TMNT movie, I will gladly join in your quest to remove the Hollywood sign image from Kings goalie Bernier's helmet.