Monday, December 12, 2011

NHL Debuts Video Rulebook

My job just got a lot easier. The NHL stole my idea and something I started doing last night!

They have a Video Rulebook online now.

This is a great great great resource. And essentially what I was doing.

I spent a good amount of time gathering resources to demonstrate the different rules of the game. This included research for such posts as the entry from last night where I talked about the video review system and what is a goal, what is not a goal.

Now, you can just go to that part of the Video Rulebook. I can't believe it! They even used one of the same videos that I did. The puck off official in the Thrashers game.

This is a great thing for the NHL. Especially for a rules nerd like me. This will save me a lot time previously devoted to research. It almost puts me out of a job.

Not completely. First of all, I don't get paid for this, so it's not like this was actually a job to begin with. Second, there will still be plenty of things to discuss regarding the interpretation of the rules, the suspensions, the off-ice activities that have some legal ramifications, etc. I can also go a bit more indepth than the Video Rulebook does and focus attention to particular rules when needed.

I love the NHL for constantly improving their transparency and willingness to show actual examples of rule violations against "good" plays for the benefit of the players and us the fans.

On a side note: Today was the first day I saw the Video Rulebook. I hope it debuted today or I am deeply embarrassed that I've missed it this long.

And, just so there is no confusion, I don't actually believe the NHL stole my idea. It's just so ironic that their Video Rulebook debuts the day after my post where I included videos on almost all of the ways a goal can be disallowed! I thought I had such a good idea, and then there it is. And very well done. It's one of those excited disappointments. Excited that it's out there, but disappointing that I didn't get to do it.