Friday, December 9, 2011

Quick Look at the first 1000 Shootouts in the NHL

I didn't realize this, but the NHL has had 1000 shootouts since their introduction in 2006.

So, what has happened?

John Kreiser of NHL.com wrote a fantastic article that looks at the records.

I'll let you read it yourself, but basically it is exactly what you would expect regarding records. Teams that do more shootouts generally do better with them. Same with goaltenders. About one in eight NHL games make it to the shootout.

The Oilers and Rangers had been in the most at 81 each. Carolina has only been in 49 since 2006.

Dallas (27-14) and Pittsburgh (27-17) are the winningest teams on the road. Colorado (26-12) is the only road team to win more than two-thirds of its road shootouts, a standard of success no home team has accomplished.

Only 32.4% of shots make it (one in three) through.

Among all goaltenders who've taken part in 15 or more shootouts, Johan "Moose" Hedberg's .775 save percentage (25 goals allowed on 111 shots) is tops. He is 23-7 in 30 shootouts after beating Ottawa on Thursday.

For me, I like the shootout. It adds some excitement at the end of the game. There was nothing more disappointing in hockey than to walk away from a NHL game that ended in a tie. I hated ties. I would much rather see my team lose in a shootout than tie. I don't know if others feel the same way, but that's just me. I guess because the points were the same for a tie as they are for a shootout loss. And with a loss, you can still have some emotion going on (even if its a bit of negative, it's still stimulating). A tie was the biggest anti-climax possible, almost like they played for nothing.

But that's just me.

TTFN